If it’s been a while since you last visited my blog, you might be wondering why I’m posting so many political related posts. Basically, I’m posting my thoughts as they relate to the upcoming presidential election. Click here for more information.
My last post was really an introduction to the idea I want to discuss today.
Last post, I mentioned the simple statement I learned in back in middle school. The legislative branch creates laws, the judicial branch interprets laws and the executive branch enforces the law.
I keep getting the feeling that the candidates are focusing too much on creating new laws and not talking enough about how they would enforce them.
This ‘burr under my saddle’ started bugging me way back when President Bush announced his immigration reform plan. In the plan he wanted to change certain laws as they relate to illegal immigration (remember the ‘amnesty’ debate). I felt I should be hearing how he was going to enforce the existing laws rather than how he wants to change them.
I believe laws should originate in Congress, by people who were elected to make them. I don’t understand why presidents introduce new legislation. If there is a good reason--historical or otherwise--I'd like to know.
My last post was really an introduction to the idea I want to discuss today.
Last post, I mentioned the simple statement I learned in back in middle school. The legislative branch creates laws, the judicial branch interprets laws and the executive branch enforces the law.
I keep getting the feeling that the candidates are focusing too much on creating new laws and not talking enough about how they would enforce them.
This ‘burr under my saddle’ started bugging me way back when President Bush announced his immigration reform plan. In the plan he wanted to change certain laws as they relate to illegal immigration (remember the ‘amnesty’ debate). I felt I should be hearing how he was going to enforce the existing laws rather than how he wants to change them.
I believe laws should originate in Congress, by people who were elected to make them. I don’t understand why presidents introduce new legislation. If there is a good reason--historical or otherwise--I'd like to know.
I don’t get it when candidates announce their 10 or 12 point plan for the nation—especially when they mention tax reform, drilling in Alaska, education and a host of other issues, including the economy. To me a candidate simply has to prove that they have a handle on the issues and practice sound judgment to consider the laws that are placed on his desk for approval.
It might be in the way they present the issues, but I feel like the candidates make too many promises that they either do not intend to keep or cannot fulfill because they are running for the wrong office.
Please tell me why I'm wrong. This line of reasoning is very de-motivating.
RSS Feed (xml)

2 comments:
I don't think your wrong. I think it happens because candidates just think about becoming president, not necessarily what they are going to do if they become president.
All of these debates have driven me mad, because they are constantly telling me what the other candidate did, will do, has done. I want to hear from them why they feel they are qualified... and like you say, how they will enforce the laws once in office...
I think it's kind of like chess... the king is a very important piece, but he doesn't move all that much, no?
The debates are a little maddening, the things they argue about seem very superficial to me. They seem to be justifying the way things were said rather than the actual belief behind the statement.
Oh, and I like that chess analogy—very thought provoking.
Post a Comment