Before I met my wife I didn't have a clue about art. It's not like I wasn't exposed to it...I've seen art in El Prado in Madrid, the Guggenheim in Bilbao, Israel Museum in Jerusalem, Egypt Museum in Cairo, museums in Athens, the Smithsonian in Washington D.C., and local galleries like the Phoenix Art Museum. So I had seen art, but I never understood it.
Well, I guess I still don't truly understand art. My main goal after going into an art gallery is still getting out; but over the years I've developed a much better understanding of it than I had 5 years ago. I enjoy going to the gallery now (at least for a limited duration...Lynette always wants to stay way too long).
Basically, this is what I have learned from going to art galleries with Lynette:
Art is all about creation and expression. To society, the classic artistic styles of images and still figures may seem dull compared to more modern forms of expression like movies, radio, internet or YouTube. Still, classic art can have a powerful effect on the lives of the observant viewer.
Some art is created to just look good. Some art is created to be clever. Some art is created to capture a moment. Some art is created to express a point. Some art is created to make a statement. Some art is created to evoke emotion. Some art is created to convey emotion. Some art is created to make you question. Some art is created to make you think.
Art beautifies the world, both physically and mentally. My favorite type of art is art that brings to mind a variety of thoughts--art that doesn't tell me what to think but rather allows me to formulate my own ideas. This type of art may make me think of something one day and make me think of something totally different the next. I like that type of art.
Art can change people or maybe I should say...the emotions evoked by art can change people. I could be wrong, but I think this is the type of art Lynette likes most--art that powerfully transmits feelings through forms and images. Art that evokes an emotional response.
I also really like art that 'takes me to my past'. Maybe it could be called nostalgic art--something that gives me a moment to mentally go to another more heavenly place. Often for me, music is a good example of this.
Creation is a gift. Not everyone can create like Lynette can. She and many other gifted artists develop their talents to beautify the world in very unique and sometimes subtle ways. Whether we know it or not, society is indebted to people like her.
I love her, my world would be much different without her. I'm glad she is in my life.
Scott
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Creation
Posted by Scott A. at 8:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RSS Feed (xml)
2 comments:
I like nostaligic art the best too.
Scott: Your ability to articulate your thoughts continues to amaze me. I like art even better after reading your blog! Love you, Mom
Post a Comment