Thursday, October 23, 2008

Obama


No, I haven’t yet decided whom I am going to vote for, but I think a post about each candidate would be worthwhile. Remember this is ‘brainstorming by blogging’ so please comment. I don’t care if you are for or against Obama, I want to hear what you think and why.

I first heard of Barack Obama in 2004 while watching the Democratic National Convention. He was delivering the keynote address in advance of the then Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry. As he was giving the speech I remember thinking to myself, ‘This man will be President of the United States someday.’

What impressed me then, is what impresses me now. Number 1, he can communicate. His speeches communicate his thoughts and feelings very effectively. And Number 2, his life story is very ‘American.’ Only in America can someone rise from poverty to the office of the President. When it wasn’t likely, he dreamed big—when it was difficult, he worked harder—and when it was a long shot, he succeeded. To me, his life story is a stunning embodiment of what is known as the American Dream.

In that speech he asked a good question for all of us: “Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or a politics of hope?”

Now that he is the presidential nominee I look at him a little more critically. Yes he can give a good speech, but will he lead the nation to a better place?

I think he just might.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have heard one of his supporters say that he is not going to be able to be that liberal. He is going to have to come to the center... what do you think? It has made me think more now that Colin Powell has finally endorsed him... hmmm... still pondering....

Scott A. said...

Adriana...I have a blog post prepared on your question. I'll be posting it soon. It's called: Two Parties.