Monday, October 20, 2008

McCain


During the primaries, I read both John McCain’s book Faith of My Fathers and Barack Obama’s book The Audacity of Hope. I was hoping to use the books to compare and contrast the candidates which would help me decide who to vote for. Unfortunately, the books are so different that it is not fair to compare the candidates based on those books—like comparing apples and oranges.

Still, in case anyone wants to know, I preferred John McCain’s book.

McCain’s family heritage has always been about service to the country. There may not be any family with a more visible, more patriotic tradition of service that is passed from father to son.

His book is written much like he speaks—using ‘straight talk’. He talks about his struggles in school with both the material and his military officer teachers. I’m impressed he still managed to succeed. His campaign is much like his life. He succeeds unconventionally.

Obviously his five and a half years as a POW is sign of perseverance of character. He refused when Vietnam officials offered to release him in exchange for making statements designed to weaken America. He chose imprisonment and beatings over being a part of propaganda against our country.

Click here for an excerpt from what I think was McCain's best speech of the campaign—his nomination acceptance speech.

Throughout his life, he seems to be someone who takes risks but stands by his decisions. He accepts consequences and does not run from decisions. He is an American Hero.

And I think American’s are longing for a hero.

We don’t want a lame duck. We don’t want someone who will try to weasel his way out of his duty. We want someone who will succeed. We want someone who can re-establish the United States of America as the world’s greatest nation—a nation with no equal in regards to individual freedoms, military wisdom and power, economic strength and personal moral standards.

If the next president can succeed in bringing us out of the economic crisis, and can win and withdraw from Iraq we may be able to re-establish ourselves as the strongest nation on earth. John McCain has a history of accomplishment and success—and accomplishment and success are exactly what our nation needs right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad that you took the initiative and read both books. Maybe I will try and quickly squeeze them in :D
You really should be a pr for him, because you were able to describe him in a manner that has almost convinced me...but then I am back to the middle... undecided. I just can't seem to come to a conclusion and my time is running out!