I’ve recently been thinking about how the political oriented blog posts that I have written have affected my life and are shaping my decision on who to vote for in the Presidential Election. I really didn’t know what I was getting into when I first mentioned politics, and looking back, I sort of wish I hadn’t broken down the wall that I built to divide my personal beliefs and publicly accessible information.
From the few political posts that I’ve written I’ve learned that you have to be brave to put your ideas out where anyone can read and analyze them—maybe more so in the ‘personal blog world’ when the potential for face to face contact with my readers is much higher. My writing changes slightly when I know that mostly family, friends and people from church are reading about the inner workings of my mind. My readers are typically people I care about and I would never want alienate, offend or disturb them by something I write.
I’ve been able to hide under the cover of ‘undecided-ness’ in my discussions, but making the decision so public seems intimidating. Like I said before, I had no idea what I was getting into when I started these political blog posts.
I’ve also learned that deciding who to vote for is largely an emotional decision. I know the decision can be analyzed to death, and logical arguments are made for and against, but for me, those arguments tend to cancel each other out, so when I’m forced to decide, I still have to consult my gut.
The problem is that my gut is philosophically torn between the two candidates. Change is a powerful emotional argument, but so is experience.
.
Hmmm. Now my gut is telling me to go get something to eat.
RSS Feed (xml)

2 comments:
You captured it all so eloquently! My gut is in the same place! But I am working on my ballot, tomorrow so it seems my time has almost run-out.
I hear all this talk about why it's important to vote... and I know it is! I yearned for it all the years I couldn't vote and then I got my citizenship and ... I almost wish I didn't have to vote...to make a decision. It is a great responsibility!
Scott, thanks for the reminder to come check out your blog! I read all your political posts and I was with you every step of the way. It makes me wish I had read both of the cantidates books like you did. I think your writing exposes you as a thoughtful and fair minded critic.
I thought your statements on the "gut factor" were particularly on point. Interestingly, Leon Kass, (probably the county's leading bioethicist) and chairman (2001-2005) of the President's Council on Bioethics, captured the same sentiment in an article in The New Republic. He called it "the wisdom or repugnance," and basically said that our gut instincet should count as legitimate arguments in our debates.
Post a Comment