Thursday, January 01, 2009

Laundry Lessons


I've been doing the laundry a lot lately and have had a lot of time to think about it. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

10 Lessons Learned From Doing Laundry.
By Scott Andreasen

1. You get out what you put in

Just like in life, if you only put in half the effort, you will only see half as good a result. There is absolutely no way to get all your clothes clean if you only put half of them into the hamper.

2. Don’t stop once you’ve started, or it will stink

Finish something. When the laundry sits in the washing machine for a day or so, it begins to stink and you have to start over. So in life, if you’re committed to something, finish it.

3. The towels and sheets always need to be done

Unfortunately there are always mundane tasks that constantly need to be done. They may seem monotonous, but they are important.

4. It’s likely an eternal task

As much as I’d like to believe the contrary, I can’t imagine clothes washing themselves in heaven (I hope I’m wrong). To me this represents that there will always be something important that needs to be done even if we don’t enjoy doing it. If you believe I'm wrong, change this lesson to: Endure to the End

5. First in Last Out (laundry basket)

I can’t think of anything specific, but I’m sure this represents something.

6. Wrinkles come to those who wait

If you don’t pull the clothes out of the dryer quickly the clothes begin to wrinkle. Likewise, by procrastinating, we add unneeded wrinkles, or stress to our lives.

7. Share the Load

Husbands, wives and kids should share this annoying task. Think of it as a way to serve each other.

8. Consider Balance

This reminds me of my mission when someone in my apartment started the washing machine before he left for the day. The load wasn’t balanced properly and caused the machine to malfunction and spill water out onto the floor all day long. It even leaked into the apartment below. The result was embarrassing and real mess. So live a balanced life, keep your friends and enjoy sanity.

9. Take it one step at a time

You can’t dry your clothes before you wash them. This process must be done methodically in order to obtain the desired results. In life, do one thing at a time and do it well. If you do, the results will surely be worthwhile.

10. Enjoy the Results

Don’t you love it when the sheets are freshly washed? How about when you put on a sweatshirt just out of the dryer on a cold day? Taking time to enjoy the results of your labor will lead to a happier you.
.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Scott, I really like this post. Thanks for sharing! Good ol' laundry.

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

that certainly took thought and time, save it for a future talk!