Obviously, an Obama presidency is historic. But does it signify that America has ‘turned the corner’ with regard to race?
I think the answer is yes, and no. On an individual family or personal level, I think the answer is no. The racism that existed before the elections still exists after. Racists simply aren’t going to change their world view because of the results of one election.
One hundred years from now the answer may be yes. History will generalize and think on a ‘macro’ level, rather than in terms of the lives of real people.
Instead of saying that the election changed the culture, I would venture to say that it was culture that changed the election. The election of Barack Obama is a signal that racism has declined significantly since the days of Martin Luther King.
Kids now-a-days don’t think in terms of color. The negative connotations associated with color of last century do not stick in the minds of youth today. Race is a non-issue to them. In the eyes of youth, the days of slavery, 3/5 representation, segregated facilities and open discrimination seems as ancient as the great flood.
I’ve heard the term ‘color blind’ being applied to the younger generation, and think that that is wonderful. Institutionally, there are no boundaries to the success of an ambitious hard working youth. Anything is achievable to those who believe. I hope the belief of the younger generation is not undone by old views on race. America is sifting out racial bigotry at an appalling rate and with some luck, any form of negative racial connotation will completely be replaced by the new way of color blindness.
I think the answer is yes, and no. On an individual family or personal level, I think the answer is no. The racism that existed before the elections still exists after. Racists simply aren’t going to change their world view because of the results of one election.
One hundred years from now the answer may be yes. History will generalize and think on a ‘macro’ level, rather than in terms of the lives of real people.
Instead of saying that the election changed the culture, I would venture to say that it was culture that changed the election. The election of Barack Obama is a signal that racism has declined significantly since the days of Martin Luther King.
Kids now-a-days don’t think in terms of color. The negative connotations associated with color of last century do not stick in the minds of youth today. Race is a non-issue to them. In the eyes of youth, the days of slavery, 3/5 representation, segregated facilities and open discrimination seems as ancient as the great flood.
I’ve heard the term ‘color blind’ being applied to the younger generation, and think that that is wonderful. Institutionally, there are no boundaries to the success of an ambitious hard working youth. Anything is achievable to those who believe. I hope the belief of the younger generation is not undone by old views on race. America is sifting out racial bigotry at an appalling rate and with some luck, any form of negative racial connotation will completely be replaced by the new way of color blindness.
RSS Feed (xml)

1 comment:
more camping
less politics
Post a Comment