Thursday, January 08, 2009

Uniqueness

Lately, I've been reading the Tao te Ching (an ancient text upon which most modern Asian philosophy is based). Some of the verses and commentary made me think a little deeper about a few topics, including individuality. These thoughts lead me to want to write and the best way I found to express my thoughts was by writing these poems and commentary. It's probably obvious to anyone that has studied Chinese Proverbs that these ideas are not original and are based heavily on several fundamental Taoist ideals including the concept of the unformed block.

.
Stuck
Between unusual and ordinary
Between regular and strange
Between perfect and imperfect
Somewhere art stands, alone

Alone
With few on the right or on the left
With a few that amaze but mostly mundane
Apart from tradition and cut off from fresh
All by itself, with hardly a friend.

But
Fear it feels not
Nor worry or pain
By standing alone
Contentment remains.

Strong
Is the art that stands up unique
Not like the others but somewhere oblique.
The maker is pleased and satisfied
When art stands alone, it’s justified


-
When deep underneath
Uniqueness resides
No pleasure or life stands outside

When rays of the sun
Warm the innate
Creativity and love are not restrained

-
Warm the uniqueness
Penetrate creativity

-
Inwardly I look to see myself
But the vision I see may not be me.
Do I see my reflection or notice another?
The likeness I see depends on me.

-
Inner Voice
Thoughts in the mind forever will swirl
And one I hear never is shrill.
To the voice I acquiesce.
Self I become, my noblesse

.
What is my own nature?

Like art, true nature is intrinsically connected to the maker. Cultivate your own true nature by conversing with the Maker. By developing your true nature you develop an independent mind. Don’t seek approval from those around you—this is the need of a dependent mind. Instead, connect with your Maker to understand your true identity. God given distinctiveness invites originality and creativity. Don’t be concerned with what others think. Follow your independent mind, your true nature, or in other words, fulfill the purposes of your creation. This is the intent of the Maker.

Becoming Christ-like does not cause you to loose individuality. This is not an either/or situation. By ever listening to self (finding your own true nature) the image of the God is reflected through your life. When His art is unaltered, the Artist is apparent. Don’t let your outward self hide or alter your inward self.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

this was great stuff Scott!