I don’t know how anyone could have listened to President-elect Barack Obama’s acceptance speech Tuesday night, and not have been moved. This speech was much simpler and shorter than others of the campaign but was especially powerful.His words took us on a journey through time and showed how American’s have always righted wrongs in the world. He spoke of his hope for the future, and how we will always be a great nation. Basically, his speech paralleled the old adage: Learn from yesterday, live for today and imagine the future.
The most significant part of the speech to me was that he asked us to join in the “work of remaking the nation”. He didn’t say, now that I am in charge you needn’t worry. He called on regular citizens to “pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other.” He is rebranding America, and the idea of patriotism, service and responsibility. He is bringing us all under one roof and he expects everyone to work in this effort.
Great presidents have and always will do that. I hope that as a nation we accept his call for action so we can see change in America.
I am glad I am able to experience this historic moment. This election is moving our nation to a safer place. Our decision made us stronger. And I believe Obama’s presidency will make us stronger too.
.


ps. I was trying to find a pic when both the Obama and Biden family were on stage last night at Grant Park, but couldn't find one...I'm disappointed I couldn't put that here...to me that image was especially iconic.
RSS Feed (xml)
1 comment:
I really enjoyed reading this post!
Post a Comment