Here are some books I've recently 'read' (I'm sure there are others, but this is all I could remember reading since my last book reading post in 2006.) I love getting books from the library. For many of these I checked out the AudioBook, but I read a respectable number of these as well.
The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Call of the Wild by Jack London
White Fang by Jack London
Faith of My Fathers by John McCain
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn
Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
Indestructible: The Unforgettable Story of a Marine Hero at the Battle of Iwo Jima by Jack Lucas
Founding Faith: Providence, Politics, and the Birth of Religious Freedom in America by Steven Waldman
Nick of Time by Ted Bell
The Universe in a Single Atom by Dalai Lama
Tom Swift and His Aerial Warship by Victor Appleton
The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
Nothing to Lose by Lee Child
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
.
I'm glad I am able to read so much. I really think it helps me understand what my own opinions are and helps me define my world view. Reading helps me begin to understand how the world works. Even though most of these are fiction novels, I believe I learn a great deal about life and about myself by reading.
Books I would definitely recommend:
.
In Defense of Food (this is the book I'm currently reading. I find this study of American culture and our conception of food fascinating)
Call of The Wild (I read this book when I was a teenager, and liked it more now as an adult)
Nick of Time (written for adolescents, the teenage hero of this book travels through time and battles pirates, Nazi's and stormy seas.)
I would not recommend Pursuit of Happyness. Although not as 'accurate', the movie is much better. This book was too graphic and vulgar for my taste. Certainly, if there was a rating system for books, this one would be rated R. I probably should have stopped reading it, but I'm not a fan of unfinished books.
Books I would definitely recommend:
.
In Defense of Food (this is the book I'm currently reading. I find this study of American culture and our conception of food fascinating)
Call of The Wild (I read this book when I was a teenager, and liked it more now as an adult)
Nick of Time (written for adolescents, the teenage hero of this book travels through time and battles pirates, Nazi's and stormy seas.)
I would not recommend Pursuit of Happyness. Although not as 'accurate', the movie is much better. This book was too graphic and vulgar for my taste. Certainly, if there was a rating system for books, this one would be rated R. I probably should have stopped reading it, but I'm not a fan of unfinished books.
Tom Swift and His Aerial Warship was the first Tom Swift novel I have read. It was written in 1915, so the diction was humorous at times. For example, when a character wanted to express surprise, dismay or shock they often would shout out and bless something.
Here are some examples:
.
Bless my gasoline tank! Bless my insurance policy! Bless my ham sandwich! Bless my suspenders! Bless my chest protector! Bless my night cap! Bless my shoe horn! Bless my fountain pen!
.
.
It was funny to imagine the characters when they made these exclamations (and others...I ended up writing them all down so I can humor myself later).
Feel free to comment on any of your favorite books, or recently read good ones. I'm always willing to consider recommendations.
RSS Feed (xml)

1 comment:
It's strange how the summer calls us all to start reading. I never read books until the summer, probably because there's too much to read during school. This summer I've read Dracula, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (which wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped), and reread 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. I need to get myself a library card now that I'm in Boston, the libraries here are in some pretty old and neat buildings. Enjoy your reading!
Post a Comment