Monday, October 09, 2006


Books I've 'Read' -

If I have listened to every word of an AudioBook (formerly known as ‘Books on Tape’) can I say I’ve read the book?

If I can’t, then what do I say?...that I’ve listened to the book?

Maybe its just semantics, but I have an internal dilemma every time I tell someone about the cool new book I’ve been ‘listening to’.

Over the past year, or so, with the help of the Mesa Public Library I have been able to experience approximately 30-40 different books, by listening to them while I work. Whether or not you think I can claim to have read them or not I’ve come across a few books that I think everyone should read.

My favorites are

Brave New World—By Aldous Huxely (1894-1963)
The Adventures of Robinson Caruso—By Daniel Defoe (1661-1731)

My favorite books that I have actually read

Lydia Bailey—By Kenneth Roberts (1885-1957)
Northwest PassageBy Kenneth Roberts (1885-1957)

Other Books I’ve ‘Read’

20,000 Leagues under the Sea—By Jules Verne
A Series of Unfortunate Events 1-3, 7-8—By Lemony Snicket
Black Wind—By Clive Cussler
Code to Zero—By Ken Follett
Da Vinci Code—By Dan Brown
Devils Code—By John Standford
Divide and Conquer—By Tom Clancy
Falls the Shadow—By William Lashner
Fellowship of the Ring—By J.R.R. Tolkien
Harm Done—By Ruth Rendell
Killer Smile—By Lisa Scottoline
Line of Control (OP-Center)—By Tom Clancy
Marked Man—By William Lashner
Pearl Harbor—By Randall Wallace
Phantom of the Opera—By Gaston Leroux
Red Rabbit—By Tom Clancy
Sacred Stone—By Clive Cussler
Sea of Fire—By Tom Clancy
The Enemy—By Lee Child
The Hard Way—By Lee Child
The Persuader—By Lee Child
The Runner—By Christopher Reich
The Secret Supper—By Javier Sierra
The Time Machine—By H.G. Wells
The Vendetta Defense—By Lisa Scottoline
Total Control—By David Baldacci
Valhalla Rising—By Clive Cussler

Books I Can’t Remember if I’ve ‘Read’

The Altman Code—By Robert Ludlum
Without Mercy—By Jack Higgins

Book’s I Haven’t ‘Read’ Yet

A Cold Heart—By Jonathan Kellerman
A Farewell to Arms—By Ernest Hemingway
Around the World in 80 Days—By Jules Verne
Dead Aim—By Iris Johansen
Lord Jim—By Joseph Conrad
Lord of the Flies—By William Golding
The Hunchback of Notre Dame—By Victor Hugo
The Wonderful Land of Oz—By L. Frank Baum

So…Can I say I've 'read' all these books? and, more importantly: Do you have any recommendations for me? Good Books/Authors?

Thanks-
Scott

1 comment:

Jacie said...

The Bounty by Caroline Alexander
Sea of Glory by Nathaniel Philbrick
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
The Iron Ring by Lloyd Alexander
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Eldest by Christopher Paolini
Night by Elie Weisel
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan