Monday, October 02, 2006


My Hobbie

Two years ago I was not able to answer the question: What are your hobbies? The truth is, I didn’t have one. I realized the other day, that now I have a hobby: Boy Scouts. I come from a family where scouting was stressed since the 1920’s. My grandfather received his Eagle scout award in 1926. My own father received his in 1946 and I received my award when I was 15 in 1995. In addition, when my Grandpa and Dad became adults they were selected to be scoutmasters and were proud to serve. Now, as an adult I am following in their footsteps serving as an assistant scoutmaster for a local troop.

Why do I do it? you ask—Family tradition?—Pressure from the troop sponsor? Maybe both those reasons were true, but now the truth is, I do it for boys I get to work with.

It would be easy to justify not having enough time. Most weekdays I leave home about 7:30am and return about 9:30 pm. I’m either studying, in class or at work. How can I fit in one night a week and one weekend a month to already overbooked schedule? Well, I just do, and its worth it.

After a recent campout, I tried to explain to Lynette why scouting is so important to me. I had a hard time articulating my thoughts, and I’m sure I didn’t express them very well. No doubt, I participate because I love to camp and being outdoors. But to me scouting is so much more. Scouting is where boys become men.

A smile comes to my face every time I see a kid cast away his fears and do something he has never done before. As a leader it is very rewarding to be apart of a program that builds boys to have successful futures. I feel lucky to be apart of such a good program, and a little fearful of the responsibility that is mine as their leader.

I hope I can be a good influence to the boys in my troop. As leaders, my father and grandfather prepared many boys to become men. I respect and honor that legacy, and am glad I have their footsteps to follow.

Here are some more photos of me and my boys.

Scott


3 comments:

Scott A. said...

Well...I'm reserving pictures of the polar bear for only a select few.

Thank goodness no one has recorded any audio of me going into the water...

If that got posted I probably would have to leave the country.

Ha Ha.

Scott

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

In the fifth paragraph, you twice use the word "apart". I'm pretty sure that should be two words.

-Kellen Wilson

Scott A. said...

Kellen-

So, spelling might not be one of my stronger subjects, and I can't figure out if this blog space has spell check...

But, I'm surprised you caught that and not my mistake in the title: My Hobbie -- It actually should have been My Hobby. Oops

Anyway, thanks for reading my blog.

Scott