Thursday, October 12, 2006


My Career Goals—

I’ve almost completed 2 weeks at my new job and I like it. It didn’t even take me a full day for me to know that I fit in very well with the group, and what my role will be there. I am very pleased with what I have been asked to do because it builds on what I have already learned and will challenge me further. I feel a sense of responsibility, as I have already been given specific tasks and projects to work on.

I still am not sure if I made the right choice to change jobs, but at least I didn’t make a bad choice. I still miss my old job, and the people there. I ride my bike by there every weekday and wonder how everyone is doing.

My new boss asked me to put together a list of goals so he can get a feel for what I expect and what I would like to see happen at my new place of employment. I’m guessing he will use this to determine some of the projects I will be working on, and how I can best fit into his transportation team.

Since this blog is currently serving as my personal journal I figured I throw this up here to archive it…you may or may not be interested:

1 to 3 Months
  • Focus on school, finish the semester with good grades
  • Refresh Microstation skills
  • Learn and apply MMI CAD standards and naming conventions to every drawing and project I work on.
  • Familiarize self with current ADOT level standards and practices
  • Get a general overview of the project history for all current transportation projects that I will be working on (the essential information)
  • Work with and interact with everyone on the transportation team
  • Achieve these goals and exceed all expectations of my managers

3 to 12 Months

  • Graduate from ASU
  • Pass FE exam
  • Slowly gain design experience (starting off with small projects)
  • Get to know design policies and guidelines for local municipalities (city and state)
  • Attend a public meeting to discuss a potential transportation project
  • Become an expert on the MMI CAD standards for Microstation
  • Continue to improve CAD skills
  • Begin to use InRoads on a regular basis
  • Achieve these goals and exceed all expectations of my managers
1 to 5 years
  • Gather knowledge, skills and training needed to be an excellent project manager
  • Never stop learning
  • Pass P.E. exam
  • Under direction of a project manager learn the ‘nuts and bolts’ of managing a transportation project
  • Strengthening CAD skills, keeping up with latest releases
  • Always improving design skills
    • By observation of others and by hands on experience
  • Research new, potential projects
    • Help write proposals
    • Learn to distinguish between ‘productive’ projects and those that aren’t worth doing
  • Take the lead and manage a local large scale transportation project
  • If possible, enroll in a part time graduate program with an emphasis on transportation engineering.
  • Achieve these goals and exceed all expectations of my managers

If you think I am forgetting something please let me know. Also, when you see me, feel free to ask me how I am doing at achieving these goals. A little accountability wouldn't hurt. I plan on achieving all of these goals.

Scott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott: Great goals. You are going to be busy. I am proud of you. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Scott,
We are both excited for you that you are enthusiastic with your goals. We know that you are able to handle this load and will do well with these challenges. Your new job is very lucky to have a smart and dedicated employee. Goodluck to you!
Love,
Debbie & Dean