Monday, October 30, 2006


Service -

This weekend I took my scout troop to a service project in Phoenix where a group of volunteers were painting an elementary school. My boys did well—they were excited and willing to help. I had to talk the person in charge into letting them volunteer because 12 and 13 year olds are apparently ‘too young’ to paint. I assured them that the troop was responsible and they would do a good job.

I think the kids really enjoyed it. We started prepping the buildings by masking the doors, windows and floors. Then we scrapped off the old paint and started repainting. I think they learned that service is fun, and probably will want to do something like this again (getting a free T-shirt didn't hurt).

On Sunday Lynette’s car broke down and I had to come help her. I was in a meeting, so I went to help her in my church clothes. Yesterday was the first day that I wore a new pair of pants, and got grease on one of the legs. Ooops. Anyway, the wires and connectors that attach to the battery where completely corroded. I just jiggled one of the wires and it completely broke off, on the other post, the bolt snapped (because of the corrosion) when I was loosening it. I had to replace the battery post clamps.

When I was done, I told Lynette that I like it when her car breaks down if it only costs $5.00 to fix, and I can do all the work myself. It makes me feel like I can provide for our family. That was a good feeling.

Lynette said that one day this past week when she was walking out to the car to go to work, in her mind she was hoping that the car wouldn’t start and the battery was dead because she didn’t want to go to work. In a sense you could say she was praying for it, by saying it over and over in her mind. Her desire came true, but not when she was expecting it.

Moral of the story: Most of the time prayers are answered, just not in the way or timing we expect—and…

Be careful what you pray for

Scott



No comments: