Sunday, June 22, 2008

Maxam –

I think I should record one notable experience I had at scout camp.

The boys all bought pocket knives at the trading post. There was a good selection this year and they weighed the pros and cons of each knife. All four boys bought one particular pocketknife, the ‘Maxam’. Then, the scoutmaster bought the same knife for himself. Quickly it became apparent to everyone in the troop that I was the only one who did not have the Maxam.

The boys then hounded me to buy the knife. They used all sorts of pressure techniques, but I wouldn’t budge. I had previously decided not to buy anything at the trading post all week (although, in the end, I did succumb to some much needed chapstick).

Once the boys realized I wasn’t going to buy it they all got together, split the cost and bought me the ‘troop’ pocket knife. I was surprised and touched that they would be so unselfish with their spending money and think of me. I did feel bad because my ‘inner cheapness’ caused them to spend some of their own money on me but also felt good that they would sacrifice to make me feel included in their group. I'm sure I'll make it up to them...somehow.

They may be only 12 and 13, but they can be thoughtful when they want to be.

Scott

1 comment:

Sung said...

...thoughtful when they want to be is the kicker. Please know that us parents really appreciate you taking the kids to the scout camp. You are a wonderful scout leader.