Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Driver Carries No Cash -

This weekend Lynette and I went down to Tucson for her dad’s birthday. Once we got up there we had a real relaxing weekend.

We all went out for breakfast, and then went shopping together. Dean picked out a watch for his birthday gift from Debbie. There weren’t a lot of crowds so we had a good time; that’s where we saw a funny bumper sticker that read: ‘Driver Carries No Cash—He’s Married’ Later, Lynette, her brother and I went on some more ‘errands’ (Lynette’s code to us to go birthday shopping). I think Dean cracked our code, next year we’ll have to think of something more clever.

We got him some cooking gadgets. He loves to barbeque and is very good at it too. Hopefully he’ll enjoy these knick-knacks when he cooks.

Later that day I decided to try to build an oven out of a cardboard box. I’d seen a demonstration before and wanted to try it out. My scouts are having an outdoor cooking contest in April and if we can use an oven, we might have an edge on the competition. This was not a solar oven; it got its heat from charcoal briquettes.

My first experimentation started off great, but then lit on fire. So that didn’t work. My next version had a lot more aluminum foil and was able to cook a batch of brownies. Maintaining consistent heat was the hardest part, but Dean and I made it work. The brownies were delicious (I finished them off today).

Somehow we also managed to fit in a trip to Baskin Robbins for ice-cream. They may not have mix-ins like Cold Stone, or Marble Slab but they make up for it in their ice cream. I think they have the best tasting ice cream around.

Sorry, I don’t have any pictures of this trip…But, you can imagine. If we had taken pic's, Lynette and I would be smiling in every one. It was a great trip.

Scott

No comments: