Friday, March 23, 2007


30 to 2 -

Well, I finally decided to go get CPR certified. I've been a scout leader for almost 2 years and I've had this hanging over my head since day 1. I was reluctant because I was busy, or the other leaders were certified, so we were 'by the book' and because administering CPR terrifies me.

Since I have a campout this weekend, and the other leaders who normally go cannot, I had to get a parent to come along with me. I don't know if he is CPR certified, but I decided that is is just the excuse I need to face my fears.

One of the reasons this is scary is because by knowing CPR, and having to administer it seems like a big responsibility. No one knows how they will act in a crisis. I'd like to think I would keep a calm and collected composure, but if someone I love is injured or hurt, I can't say how I'll act.

In High School, when my best friend fainted at work (because of loss of blood) I did not really know what to do, but I kept my composure. When everyone else thought he was joking, I was running to his aid. I probably did not do everything right in that situation, but atleast 'ordered' someone (my boss) to call 911 and to call his parents. Fortunately he kept breathing and no one had to administer CPR. The paramedics arrived shortly thereafter.

So now, am I an expert? No, not even after this 3 hour class. But I now have the card for adults, children and infants, because I have recieved the training. The certification lasts for 2 years which is scary because if I don't think about this I probably could forget everything in 2 weeks. But, like they said in class all you have to remember is the ABC's. Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

I hope this is something I never have to use, but if I do I want to be prepared because if you are prepared you will not fear.

Scott

Heres a nice summary for all you card carrying CPR'ers who need a refresher:


CPR - IT CAN BE AS EASY AS A- B- C:

A - AIRWAY
  • Place victim flat on his/her back on a hard surface.
  • Shake victim at the shoulders and shout "are you okay?"
  • If no response, call emergency medical system -911 then, Head-tilt/chin-lift - open victims' airway by tilting their head back with one hand while lifting up their chin with your other hand.
B - BREATHING

  • Position your cheek close to victims' nose and mouth, look toward victims' chest, and
  • Look, listen, and feel for breathing (5-10 seconds)
  • If not breathing, pinch victim's nose closed and give 2 full breaths into victim's mouth (use microshield).
  • If breaths won't go in, reposition head and try again to give breaths. If still blocked, perform abdominal thrusts (Heimlich maneuver)

C - CIRCULATION

  • Check for carotid pulse by feeling for 5-10 seconds at side of victims' neck.
  • If there is a pulse but victim is not breathing, give Rescue breathing at rate of 1 breath every 5 seconds Or 12 breaths per minute
  • If there is no pulse, begin chest compressions as follows:
  • Place heel of one hand on lower part of victim's sternum. With your other hand directly on top of first hand, Depress sternum 1.5 to 2 inches.
  • Perform 30 compressions to every 2 breaths. Check for return of pulse after every cycle.
CONTINUE UNINTERRUPTED UNTIL ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE.

No comments: