Monday, January 01, 2007


Climb the Next Mountain -

This weekend I went on a 3-day campout with my scout troop. The idea behind this campout was to review and test the boy’s knowledge of all the skills they learned throughout the year. One scout was awarded the ‘Ultimate Scout Award’ and all were honored in a end of year banquet with the kids families.

The kids also earned their Rifle Shooting Merit Badge, and Space Exploration Merit Badge (building model rockets and discussing the subject with a Rocket Scientist). They had lots of fun participating in all the activities we planned.

We tested the kids on marksmanship, fire starting (they had to burn through a string elevated off the ground), orienteering, knot tying, physical fitness, scout spirit and attitude.

The last event was a race up an extremely steep hill (jeeps and other four wheelers can’t make it up this hill because it is so steep). The scoutmaster impressed on all the kids that climbing that mountain would be a challenge and then he related this mountain to other challenges that will arise in their life. He encouraged them to not go as fast as they want to, but to go as fast as they could up and down the mountain.

Personally, this illustrated an important principal of integrity. Watching the kids and how they handled this challenge is reflective about how I sometimes handle specific trials. Some times, I am like the scout that ran up and down the mountain without stopping or resting (the first two scouts actually ran back up the mountain to help the other scouts make it down safely). Other times, I am like the scouts that start out strong but slow as soon as it gets difficult. They went fast, but only as fast as they wanted to. And then, there was one, who didn’t follow the directions entirely.

Since it is the New Year, I want to state my goal that I always do my best. I want to have the integrity to not do as well as I want to, but to do the best I can. In every endeavor I want to be the first one up and down the mountain. As I do I know that the trials and challenges I face will be worthwhile.

I wonder what my next challenge will be. Are you ready for yours?

Scott








Presentations at the Banquet with Parents

No comments: