Fathers and Sons -
Last weekend I went camping with my brother, his kids, my dad and a couple of friends. I don’t know how long it has been since I went camping with my dad—probably at least 6 or 7 years. I told my nephews that I’d help them get the Orienteering Merit Badge if they came with. We camped out on the Mormon Battalion trail so dad took the opportunity to come and teach the boys about the Mormon Battalion (The Mormon Battalion was a group of 500+ volunteers who served in the US Infantry during the Mexican American War. They cut out the first southern trail to the West which later became known as the Butterfield Stage Coach Trail. The Butterfield trail was an ‘all season’ route from the East to
The campout was just great. I planned on doing a couple of fun activities. I wanted to do a morning hike (approximately 5 miles), all the requirements for the Orienteering Merit Badge and have the kids learn about the Mormon Battalion. Afterwards, I asked each kid what their favorite part of the campout was, one said the hike, another said the orienteering stuff and the last said his favorite part was sitting around the fire learning about the Mormon Battalion. The fact that each of the boys said their favorite thing was something I thought they’d enjoy made me feel really good.
Everyone on the campout had either a father or a son (or both) with them. I believe camping with your family is a great way to come together, have fun, learn about each other and gain respect for one another. It’s a good thing.
Scott
RSS Feed (xml)

No comments:
Post a Comment