.
Horsemanship -In January our troop has been working on the Horsemanship Merit Badge. We are lucky because the scoutmaster’s brother owns some horses. His horses are beautiful and very well trained.
We had to go through 2 weeks of ‘book work’ before getting out to ride the horses. The scoutmaster taught those two weeks and did a fabulous job. He came very prepared and the boys responded well.
But the real fun was on Saturday when we got to go out and ride. The boys got to groom the horses and learn to ride. Afterwards they let out some steer and we saw him do some roping. There really isn’t much I can say because the pictures are self explanatory but this had to have been one of the most interesting activities I’ve ever done with the boys.
It was obvious that the scoutmaster and his brother came from the same family. Apparently their dad was a cowboy who rode the range roping cattle to give them medicine and other care. The scoutmaster said he isn’t a cowboy but he sure was comfortable up there on the saddle. You could tell that once he was up there he didn’t want to get down. I guess it’s in their blood.
Here are some pics.
.
Our instructor for the bookwork
RSS Feed (xml)
2 comments:
That looks very fun. Lucky Boys!
Scott: You could be a Wyoming cowboy! I'm impressed!! Thanks for doing a blog. I love it. Mom
Post a Comment