Integrity-Patriotism-Success-Conscience-Dedication
All month long I have been praying for good conditions on December 27-29th because our troop held its annual ‘Winter Encampment’. This wasn’t a snow outing, which will come later, but this is a three day campout that the boys look forward too during their Christmas break. Only 3 scouts and 1 junior leader were able to attend this time, but the trip was very fun.
We went for three days because: #1-It’s Cool, #2-Troop Tradition and #3 Because the extra day allows us to focus on character building. This year’s event focused on integrity (as opposed to last year, when we focused on excellence).
Each boy was given an assignment to either teach scout skills to the other boys, or to give a short devotional on the topic of their choice. The boys made me very proud. On the trail, they were stronger and tougher than I anticipated. They took the campfire programs more seriously than I expected. And their devotionals were much more meaningful than I projected. I felt very good arriving home and reflecting on how well behaved and how mature the boys acted on this outing. Everything went much better than I had imagined it would.
We backpacked down Cave Creek (the year round creek north of the valley) and settled in a perfect location on the creek. We had to carry in all our food, carry out all our trash and purify the creek water for drinking. Overnight temperatures got below freezing both nights but we survived.
We practiced fire starting with flint and steel and had a competition to see who could burn a string the fastest. After the boys went the other adult leader and I went head to head. He got his string burnt quicker than me but we both were faster than any of the boys. Later we explored the creek and found some standing water that froze over. That allowed us to be able to play Hocker (a combination of Hockey and Soccer) on the ice. That may have been the most fun thing we did all weekend.
The hike in took 3 hours, but the hike out only took 2. As we approached the end of the trail on the way out the boys stopped and asked me to lead us back to the cars. I don’t know whose idea that was, but it made me feel very good and honored to be their scout leader. Thanks guys.
Scott
All month long I have been praying for good conditions on December 27-29th because our troop held its annual ‘Winter Encampment’. This wasn’t a snow outing, which will come later, but this is a three day campout that the boys look forward too during their Christmas break. Only 3 scouts and 1 junior leader were able to attend this time, but the trip was very fun.
We went for three days because: #1-It’s Cool, #2-Troop Tradition and #3 Because the extra day allows us to focus on character building. This year’s event focused on integrity (as opposed to last year, when we focused on excellence).
Each boy was given an assignment to either teach scout skills to the other boys, or to give a short devotional on the topic of their choice. The boys made me very proud. On the trail, they were stronger and tougher than I anticipated. They took the campfire programs more seriously than I expected. And their devotionals were much more meaningful than I projected. I felt very good arriving home and reflecting on how well behaved and how mature the boys acted on this outing. Everything went much better than I had imagined it would.
We backpacked down Cave Creek (the year round creek north of the valley) and settled in a perfect location on the creek. We had to carry in all our food, carry out all our trash and purify the creek water for drinking. Overnight temperatures got below freezing both nights but we survived.
We practiced fire starting with flint and steel and had a competition to see who could burn a string the fastest. After the boys went the other adult leader and I went head to head. He got his string burnt quicker than me but we both were faster than any of the boys. Later we explored the creek and found some standing water that froze over. That allowed us to be able to play Hocker (a combination of Hockey and Soccer) on the ice. That may have been the most fun thing we did all weekend.
The hike in took 3 hours, but the hike out only took 2. As we approached the end of the trail on the way out the boys stopped and asked me to lead us back to the cars. I don’t know whose idea that was, but it made me feel very good and honored to be their scout leader. Thanks guys.
Scott
.
RSS Feed (xml)

No comments:
Post a Comment