My subject for my father’s day blog reminded me about how I have yet to mention my new job. I’m working for a worldwide engineering firm that designs freeways, bridges and roads. They’ve been in the valley for many years and are very respected. It's probably one of ADOT’s top three transportation firms. I am doing exactly what I think I want to be doing right now (designing freeways). So far it’s been great but I am still getting trained. I’m a little anxious to get into some real projects.
Ok, back to Fathers Day. I was blessed to come to family who taught me right and wrong from an early age. I was always given the opportunity to choose who I wanted to become. I value that parenting style and give credit both to my father and mother for raising me. I couldn’t have become who I am without them. I love them both for that.
I’ve recently been contemplating how small things can have monumental affects in the lives of people, programs or even in history. Recently, I’ve reflected on one small memory I have with my dad that has for some reason stayed with me throughout my life.
I’m not sure how old I was or what the situation was but once my dad gave me a pencil and paper and asked if I could draw an aerial view of a freeway interchange. He told me to include all the ramps and to make everything work (ie. each direction had access to all other legs of the interchange). Well, I tried, and did not succeed the first time. I can actually remember how surprised I was with how difficult it was to draw. So over the next few years, when I was bored in class, or when I had time and a pencil and paper and was doodling my drawings always seemed to center around the freeway interchange my dad had challenged me to draw. Later, I even tried to fiddle around with the many different ways they could be drawn.
I recalled this memory when I was interviewing with the company I now work for. I found it amazing that one small memory with my father had such a profound influence on my life. I’m not sure if I would be so interested in designing freeways now if that seed had not been planted in my youth. That singular moment with my dad is, to me, a truly sacred memory from my childhood.
Thanks for the challenge Dad, Happy Father's Day. Maybe one of these days I'll design an interchange that you can be proud of.
Scott


RSS Feed (xml)

1 comment:
Thanks Scott, I remember that day. I know it was hard for you to do. I remember it was hard for me to help you and I think we both gave up. I have tried to draw them many times and I think I have never drawn one correctly. Thank you Scott for the memory and
your love. Dad
Post a Comment