To my Mother-
Since the 15th is my Mom’s birthday I thought I’d write a little about her. My mom is a wonderful loving woman who always has something nice to say. I recently heard my Dad boast that in the 48 years that they had been married, he had never heard her say anything negative about another person. When I heard that I thought he was exaggerating so I tried to think of something negative that Mom had said. I couldn’t think of a single thing. Dad is telling the truth, at least I can vouch for the last 25 years.
Anyway, it’s not just her amazing attitude that I love about her. She is hard working too. From kindergarten to 12th grade she made my lunch every school day. It probably got old too, I always had to have a peanut butter sandwich with a banana and a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Role (I was spoiled, wasn’t I?). Now that I have to make my lunches for myself I realize that it is not very fun. Even though I’m going to eat the food I’m not motivated to do it. But my Mom was motivated, and never let me go hungry. The only thing I can think of strong enough to motivate someone to make a peanut butter sandwich everyday for 12 years is love.
I heard a quote on TV the other day that pretty much sums up my feelings for my mom. I hope someday I will be able to write something this good. It describes my feelings perfectly:
“What I meant to say was, how can I possibly say goodbye to the person who was first to hold me, the first to feed me, and the first to make me feel loved. From a distance I watch you move about doing the mundane tasks that to everyone else seems so routine but for me, the tasks you lovingly completed year after year built and reinforced the foundation and structure that made my world a safe and comfortable place to grow. All that I am and all that I can be can be traced back to, is you. Whatever accomplishments I have made along the way, would not have occurred without first believing in myself. And you, you were the person who always believed in me.”
Michael Murphy (as quoted by Dr. Wayne Dyer on a PBS program--Michael was leaving his moms house for Thanksgiving and was making small talk with his mom. He told her thanks for dinner, but he later wrote these words.)
So, Mom, I love you. As I get older, and look back at how I was raised I get deep feeling of gratitude for the values you taught me, the responsibility you gave me and the freedom you let me have to live my own life. Thank you for teaching me and letting me make my own decisions about who I wanted to become. I hope I did not let you down.
I love you.
Scott
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Posted by Scott A. at 5:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RSS Feed (xml)
1 comment:
Scott: Thanks for the birthday thoughts. It is very comforting to know that you remember more than the time I swept the dirt under the rug. I love you. Mom
Post a Comment