Saturday, September 05, 2009

Other Stuff - Websites

Another thing I did this summer was work with a local web designer to get a couple of websites up and running.

The first site I want to mention is a Family History Website that was designed and built especially for my family. It’s called Turning Our Hearts and was actually created at the end of last year, but my dad and I have been slowly adding information as it becomes computer ready. That takes time.
.

(My uncle, dad, mom, and both sets of granparents are pictured in the sites header)

.

My dad’s parents and grandparents were enthusiastic journal writers and I have been blessed to read their writings—some of which is over 100 years old. I never knew my great grandma, but as I read her words I think she and I will get along very well when we do meet. Sometimes as I read her journal entries I think to myself that I could have written those exact words. Not only are her opinions consistent with mine, but her thought process, and the way she presents her thoughts feel distantly familiar. Her diction is often different than what I would use, but I think that is because I am reading her work several generations later.

My sisters have volunteered to type up the copious journals for the benefit of all. Once a journal is all typed up, I put it up online. It often takes me a few days to put the journal online because I start reading it and cannot put it down.

Anyway, I have learned some great things about my ancestors. Some notable things are:

In 1905 my great-great grandfather traded in his rifle for a suit of clothes.

This entry was particularly enchanting to me. It prompted me to start writing a country song about a backwoods country boy moving to the city to provide for his family. He was sad to leave his farm and was determined not to let ‘city-life’ change the way was, deep down inside.

Although I haven’t finalized the song (mostly because I need help with the music) here is a DRAFT of the chorus.

He made a vow to not forget, it’s by the sweat of the brow that you get ahead. He always would remember God and treat his neighbor with respect. His wife and kids would at all times know, that he’d provide for them until he was gone. So even though he lives in town, his country ways will always be found. In the city, he won’t forget the things that put a mind at ease. Mind your mama—Love your wife—take time out for the secrets to life. You may be working, overtime, but it’s the country way that gives you delight. Say please and thank you all the time, love wisely and enjoy your life.

Yes, I know that is way too long and a bit dis-jointed to be a chorus…but like I said this is still in draft form. Once I get a melody I can fine tune this a little bit more. Does anyone know a country music composer? I’d love to finish my song.

Well, this post got too long too fast. So, I’ll save the rest of what I wanted to say about my turningourhearts.com and the other website I worked on this summer for a later post.

.

Feel free to click around our site. It's interesting...but maybe just to me and my fam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott: I just read your blog. Glad to have you back. Love your country song. Hope you get it put to music. You will love Grandma Andreasen -- also Papa. Mom