Sunday, April 12, 2009

ITE Conference


I did a poster presentation at a National Institute of Transportation Engineers Conference in Phoenix last month on Planning for Large Events, Both Planned and Unplanned. This conference rotates cities from year to year, but this year it was in the Phoenix Convention Center. Since the topic was on the exact same subject of some in depth research I did as an undergrad I decided to dust off my old poster and present it at this conference. If nothing else, I did this to be able to put it on my resume in the future.

The conference was incredibly interesting. I'm fascinated with the logistics and planning procedures behind large events. One of the speakers was the head traffic operations manager for Washington D.C. and he managed the crowds and agencies for Obama's inauguration address. Super bowl planners (all with a transportation and traffic emphasis) spoke, including Avery Rhodes, a co-worker that I had back at my first engineering job as an intern.

I enjoyed the conference, but was glad when it ended. I then walked around the Convention Center and took lots of pictures. The building is gorgeous, I couldn't stop noticing all the "lines" they were both interesting and elegant.
Here are some pics.


I got a kick out of the restroom signs...it seems the stick man has gained some weight. Likely to reflect the rest of America.




No comments: