For Scouts, one Wednesday back in December all but one of our regularly attending boys was in a band concert. So, instead of cancelling scouts we decided to go watch the concert to show our support of the other guys.
As I recall, the music was good. I am glad I went.
Between songs, the conductor said something that really made me think. He said that activities for youth, such as band, build both memories and vision. I didn’t realize it before, but that is also what I am trying to provide for the boys through scouting.
Building memories is an important part of growing up because recalling moments of support, help and love can be a great strength to anyone facing a difficult challenge or choice. If these memories can be built in an encouraging environment then they can be a powerful force for good throughout a young mans life.
Even in my own life I realize that the scouting program provided me with memories that I still recall and draw strength from. I’m glad I was given the opportunity to cultivate strong friendships, get to know adults other than my parents and teachers, develop skills and gain confidence in a variety of areas.
The second part of the band conductor’s quote is that youth programs build vision which was particularly interesting because I heard that line during a time when I was pondering the relationship between vision and success.
Through the scouting program boys can learn about careers and life skills in many different settings. The variety of activities not only gives the boys a taste of many opportunities, but also provides them with a chance to interact with experts in those fields and understand what success is.
I believe that ‘vision’ is likely the single most important skill young men can learn in their youth. It can’t be taught specifically (like in a lecture or workshop) so I rarely mention it in scouts. It must be found within yourself. Scouting simply provides an opportunity for the boys to find that vision.
I hope the young men that I work with catch a vision of success and understand that they already have within them the main ingredient required to accomplish something spectacular.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Memories and Vision
Posted by Scott A. at 6:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RSS Feed (xml)
No comments:
Post a Comment