Thursday, March 05, 2009

What’s your point?


Lynette thinks it’s funny that while reading a book I sometimes skip to the end and read the last few pages. I’m not sure why I do this, but I think I want to make sure that the outcome is not disappointing.

I do similar things in other aspects of my life. I tend to want to “get to the point” and I want to see the “bottom line”. I don’t like to be bothered by fluff and want to focus only on what can be applied. In short, I guess, I seek relevance.

I often listen to others and wonder, “Where are you going with this?”

In school, during lectures I always got restless during discussions of theory and looked forward to practical applications.

In church, I get annoyed when doctrine is discussed at the expense of its day to day application. To me, the best teachers are those who balance doctrine with its practical potential.

Even in music I am bothered by songs that have too long of an introduction (unless the song is by ACDC, who has the best song-intros of all time).

I’m not sure what all this means, but it’s what I’ve been thinking about lately.

Scott


Ps. In a somewhat hypocritical way, there was no “bottom line” or “point” to this post.

1 comment:

Chanelle & Aaron said...

Maybe your just impatient :) (teasing)