Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thoughts on Stimulus


I’m not sure what to think about the Stimulus Legislation that is being debated and approved currently. I’m against debt, but I’m also for lending a helping hand to capable and willing people who are down on their luck. Unfortunately right now, it seems there are a lot of people willing to work who can’t, simply because jobs are scarce.

I believe that if government can reasonably help people get jobs, it definitely should. The concept behind the stimulus legislation is probably legit, but I fear it could be carried out very badly.

For example, the last stimulus package didn’t seem to stimulate anything. It was nice getting a check from the government, but it obviously didn’t help things. Is the current version going to be the answer? Probably not. And, I’ve heard several people say that we need to view the current stimulus package as a ‘down payment.’

I don’t really know how the money should be divided, but I do know where the money should not go. It should not go directly into someone’s savings account (I’m referring to the wall-street CEO’s). It should not go into a program or project that does not have a specific “end.” Meaning, the ideal program will not require further taxpayer money down the road. I don’t want the nation to go into debt now, and be required to maintain this type of funding in the future. That could be devastating. Lastly, government money should also not go to a program whose impact will not be felt several years down the road.

So, after looking at all this, I have one suggestion that (as a civil engineer) may seem a little self-serving. I feel that a significant amount of the money should go to infrastructure. Not just to ‘shovel ready’ jobs, but to really invest in America’s roads, rail, energy and communication networks.

The new projects will provide jobs for both white collar and blue collar workers in the short term, the financial commitment will end when the money runs out and the result will provide greater connectivity and thus more economic opportunities will be available in the future for growth.

No matter where the money goes, I hope government is sensible, thrifty and moderate in their decisions. Our elected officials hold our future in their hands, so we can only wait and see what they do with it.
.

1 comment:

Christy said...

LOVED your thoughts. I was talking to my parents when I was in Texas about where the money should be spent, and they agree with you. I think a lot of people do.