When I was a teenager, my dad once gave me one memorable piece of advice that I found rather odd. One day, he told me to “Line up my shoes.”
At that time, I didn’t have an exorbitant amount of shoes (and still don’t). I think I had three pair—one pair of sneakers, one pair of church shoes and one pair of running shoes. Still, I imagine he gave me this advice because I was having trouble keeping them from being scattered around my room.
For a few weeks after receiving that advice I chuckled every time I took off my shoes. As a joke, I faithfully lined up my shoes everyday. Now, as an adult I occasionally remember my dad’s words and go through the house and move all my shoes to the closet.
I realize that life goes better when my shoes are lined up. I believe that when I work hard and put effort in the little things of life, effort naturally falls on life’s larger things. Additionally, when my living quarters are clean I view life through a less stressful lens and can better cope with life’s challenges.
It’s amazing how this piece of advice permeates into other aspects of my life. The difference between having my shoes in a line and the alternative is the same as the difference between managing my life and maintaining my life.
Managing life takes effort, work and forethought. Maintaining life is struggling to make it through the day without major incident. Managing is deliberately putting my shoes in the closet at the end of the day. Maintaining is scrambling before work to try to find the other matching shoe.
Maintaining is good, but managing is better. Both probably require roughly the same amount of exertion, but the difference is in the timing. When I’m maintaining life I’m running from task to task and wonder when it will all end. When I’m managing, I work hard, complete my tasks and then relax when the deadlines approach.
Instead of fear and doubt creeping into my thoughts and actions, when I manage my life my mind is focused on victory, success and triumph.
I believe in a well managed life. A life where my shoes are lined up and where my effort is rewarded with comfort, peace and the assurance that I am prepared to handle whatever the morning brings.
Speaking of which, I better go line up my shoes.
At that time, I didn’t have an exorbitant amount of shoes (and still don’t). I think I had three pair—one pair of sneakers, one pair of church shoes and one pair of running shoes. Still, I imagine he gave me this advice because I was having trouble keeping them from being scattered around my room.
For a few weeks after receiving that advice I chuckled every time I took off my shoes. As a joke, I faithfully lined up my shoes everyday. Now, as an adult I occasionally remember my dad’s words and go through the house and move all my shoes to the closet.
I realize that life goes better when my shoes are lined up. I believe that when I work hard and put effort in the little things of life, effort naturally falls on life’s larger things. Additionally, when my living quarters are clean I view life through a less stressful lens and can better cope with life’s challenges.
It’s amazing how this piece of advice permeates into other aspects of my life. The difference between having my shoes in a line and the alternative is the same as the difference between managing my life and maintaining my life.
Managing life takes effort, work and forethought. Maintaining life is struggling to make it through the day without major incident. Managing is deliberately putting my shoes in the closet at the end of the day. Maintaining is scrambling before work to try to find the other matching shoe.
Maintaining is good, but managing is better. Both probably require roughly the same amount of exertion, but the difference is in the timing. When I’m maintaining life I’m running from task to task and wonder when it will all end. When I’m managing, I work hard, complete my tasks and then relax when the deadlines approach.
Instead of fear and doubt creeping into my thoughts and actions, when I manage my life my mind is focused on victory, success and triumph.
I believe in a well managed life. A life where my shoes are lined up and where my effort is rewarded with comfort, peace and the assurance that I am prepared to handle whatever the morning brings.
Speaking of which, I better go line up my shoes.
RSS Feed (xml)
4 comments:
deep. i like it.
Thankfully, both of my parents have set a great example in that area. I know now that my life has been better for it. I certainly appreciate the example that others have set for us so we can become better in our own lives. It's taking that information and doing something positive with it.
Hi Scott, I've never commented on your blog, but I really like this. Good advice I can use. I'm sending it on to Brendon too, Thanks.
now you need not fear if asked to speak in sacrament meeting. just click on your blog, copy and paste a few posts, give them a mild tweak. done and done.
Post a Comment