I was released from scouts this week and it is kind-a sad. I’ve put in almost 4 years working with the 12 and 13 year olds and then asked to change. I was finally beginning to think I had figured out how to be a decent scout leader and was becoming somewhat confident that I could really do some good with the boys.
Our troop is in a period of transition with two older boys turning 14 and two younger guys just turning 12. I was eager for the new challenge with the new boys. I was also looking forward to ‘starting over’ because this year the majority of the skills/merit badges the boys need to learn I have already taught.
That would mean I wouldn’t have to teach myself how to do things before I presented it to the boys. It would mean I could focus more on teaching the skills effectively, rather than just being able to teach it at all. Maybe it would mean I could devote less time and get the same (or better) results.
Our troop is in a period of transition with two older boys turning 14 and two younger guys just turning 12. I was eager for the new challenge with the new boys. I was also looking forward to ‘starting over’ because this year the majority of the skills/merit badges the boys need to learn I have already taught.
That would mean I wouldn’t have to teach myself how to do things before I presented it to the boys. It would mean I could focus more on teaching the skills effectively, rather than just being able to teach it at all. Maybe it would mean I could devote less time and get the same (or better) results.
.
But, now I have a new assignment—working with the 14 and 15 year old boys (ie. the Teachers Quorum or Varsity Scouts). Ironically, I’m working with the same guys I’ve been working with for 3 years. From what I gathered, the reasoning behind the switch is that I already have a relationship of trust with those guys and I should be able to continue to do some good with them.
But, now I have a new assignment—working with the 14 and 15 year old boys (ie. the Teachers Quorum or Varsity Scouts). Ironically, I’m working with the same guys I’ve been working with for 3 years. From what I gathered, the reasoning behind the switch is that I already have a relationship of trust with those guys and I should be able to continue to do some good with them.
.
But, I can’t help but think I’ve already ‘taught’ them all I know. I can’t think of a meaningful story I haven’t shared or a personal experience I haven’t expressed. I hope I can find something new to say when we hang out or when I teach Sunday lessons…I guess I’ll have to dig a little deeper into my memories. Hopefully I can come up with something good.
We’ll see how this goes. I’m feeling pressure.
But, I can’t help but think I’ve already ‘taught’ them all I know. I can’t think of a meaningful story I haven’t shared or a personal experience I haven’t expressed. I hope I can find something new to say when we hang out or when I teach Sunday lessons…I guess I’ll have to dig a little deeper into my memories. Hopefully I can come up with something good.
We’ll see how this goes. I’m feeling pressure.
___
.
In memory of the 'good times' over the past several years, I'm going to post pictures from each year for the next few days. I'll start with my service in Troop 950. A struggling little troop that ultimately dissolved and merged with another troop. Then, there are pictures from Troop 630. This is 2005.
.
Enjoy:
.
This was my very first campout as a leader. I threw a futon mattress in the back of the truck and slept there....a lot has changed since then.
.jpg)
.jpg)
RSS Feed (xml)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Scouting definitely seems to be something that you love doing, so while you've been moved to the older group, I'm glad to hear that you'll get to continue with it! And I wouldn't say that you don't have anything left to teach them, we find new ways to learn from each other everyday and I'm sure you've learned just as much from them as they have from you. Looking forward to the pictures!
Post a Comment