Tuesday, April 08, 2008


Ride a Bike-

My nephew asked me to help him get the cycling merit badge. I decided to go ahead and help him, even though it requires quite a time commitment. He has to go on two 10 mile bike rides, two 15 mile bike rides, two 25 mile bike rides and a 50 mile bike ride. Seven rides total, for a total of 150 miles.

On the first ride we went 10 miles through Tempe. I was impressed with Marcus because the distance didn’t bother him one bit. On the day of the second ride we learned that the City of Tempe was having a bike ‘extravaganza’ so we decided to stop by there. After registering we got a free t-shirt, and donuts and were able to see all the bike safety booths. They had a brain and spine display where the stressed the importance of wearing helmets. The city was even giving away helmets to every kid who didn’t have one.

We then participated in the community bike ride. This is when I was reminded why I love to help Boy Scouts. I saw Marcus take to the ‘race’ like a fish to water. As he was passing huge groups of people he had a huge smile on his face. I’ve never seen him so proud and so happy. I believe that the best parts of scouting are exemplified when boys do something they have never done before and love it.

At one point during the ride, we just had passed a big pack of cyclists and were closing the gap on the next big group up in the distance. We watched the entire group ahead of us fail to turn at an intersection that my nephew and I knew was the correct route because we had studied the map before hand. When we got to the same intersection, Marcus and I didn’t follow the crowd ahead, but turned right instead. Surprisingly, the group of cyclists we just had passed followed us. I overheard a couple talking later that they had no idea what the route was, but they were just following the group.

That made me reflect on the influence an individual can have on a group. Had my nephew and I not known the correct route we would have been cycling in circles (with the others) looking for the finish line, but because we knew the correct route others were able to follow and make it to the finish line also. I’m not sure if my nephew picked up on the symbolism of the moment, but I hope he can remember always to resist the crowd and follow honorable paths.

Great Job Marcus!

Scott

Ride 1:


Ride 2:

2 comments:

Deborah’s Desert Creations said...

Now that's dedication. I am very impressed! I am one to really admire the committment you made to your nephew and the enjoyment that you shared with him. Looking forward to hearing more about your travels.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott For taking me on the bike rides and helping me complete the Cycling Merit Badge. I really look forward to our bike rides that we go on.

Marcus