Saturday, April 26, 2008


April Outing-

Our April scout outing took us to one of Arizona's natural 'gems'. We hiked 4 miles (downhill) to an area with a series of springs where approximately 20,000 gallons of water per minute gush out of the ground. This area is amazing for its natural beauty, clear water and beautiful foliage. We were able to take a dip in a couple of swimming holes, play on a rope swing (which is always a great find) and explore a little.
.
We had a great turnout (total of 8 boys). The younger scouts came along (who don't normally come on outings with us) and one scout invited a friend from school. I couldn't have asked for a better campout to have so many people attend. Not everyone came, but we had way more than we have had in the recent past.

Friday night we camped out with my brother-in-laws troop and my scouts were able to play capture the flag with his troop. Our guys didn't win, but we were out numbered and not familiar with the terrain, like the other troop. I think for most of the boys the capture the flag game was the highlight of the outing.

The hike down to the springs went pretty fast. The slowest guys took 1.5 hours. The boys then spent a couple of hours playing while the adults spent a couple of hours resting. The hike out was pretty intense, all up hill. It took 2 hours and 5 minutes for the slowest guys to make it out. We got back to the valley a few hours later than we were expecting, but I didn't hear of any worried parents.

One kid vowed he wouldn't sleep on the way home. Shortly after, I heard him snoring. I thought that was pretty funny. Then over an hour later he woke up, but didn't realize he fell asleep. He started bragging that he still hadn't fallen asleep. When I told him what time it was he was surprised and finally admitted he had fallen asleep. Everyone was exhausted at the end of the day, but we all had fun.

Enjoy the pics-
Scott

I forgot to mention we had a GREAT dutch oven meal prepared by the troop.

One of the springs where water just dribbles out of the ground:

Cooling off in the creek:

Rope Swing:

Hike Out:

Whole Group (minus the photographer):

No comments: