Bluebirds Perch -
Today my parents are celebrating their 50th Wedding anniversary. They are going to eat in the exact same restaurant they ate at on their wedding day 50 years ago in July. To me, 50 years is impressive—whether it be 50 years of marriage or for a small café to be in business. Both require commitment and hard work to be successful.
They would have liked to have been there exactly on their anniversary, but schedules did not work out to make that possible. Instead, they decided to go this month to visit family and eat at the Bluebird Café in Logan, UT.
I splurged and ordered flowers to be delivered to the restaurant for this special day. I also got ambitious and tried to write a poem. The rhyming isn’t that good, but I didn’t want to keep sacrificing the poems meaning to make it rhyme. In a compromise with myself, I settled on the above.
Since it’s the first poem I’ve written since 8th grade (which was a haiku) I didn’t know if I could write one. I approached this as a challenge. I’m sure, from a literary perspective this isn’t that good, but I still think my folks will like it. Hopefully, they feel that their 50 years of family building was well worth it.
It was worth it to me.
Scott
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Posted by Scott A. at 1:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RSS Feed (xml)
6 comments:
Here is the interpretation:
Mom and Dad meet in geology class at a university. Dad struggled to make the grade so he asked the smartest girl in the class for help. That made dad the smartest guy in the class.
Like most couples in the 1950’s they dated, fell in love and were married. They were married in 1958 in the Logan Utah Temple, afterwards they had a meal at the Bluebird Café.
As couple they raised seven children. They’ve affectionately labeled the last child their caboose.
50 years later they returned to the Bluebird Café to celebrate their golden anniversary.
Dad painstakingly protects his precious ferns on his cabins property and Mom fell in love with tulips on one of their missions to Washington State.
Obviously, the beautiful garden is a metaphor for their righteous posterity.
Scott--great job, and the poem was beautiful! thanks for your love and insight!
Dawn
Congrats - you guys are an awesome example!
a good son
Thanks, Scott! It was great having you be a part of our "50th year" at the Bluebird Cafe. We loved the flowers and the ferns! The poem brought tears to my eyes. We love you. Mom and Dad
What a sensitive and kind son you are to your parents, I am proud to know you and have you in our family as well. I really enjoyed your poem.
Debbie
Post a Comment