Sunday, September 02, 2007


New York Part 2: "The How’s" --

The conference in New York that I went to last week for work was really interesting, fun and worthwhile. I got to meet many other new graduates hired by my company from all over the country. I was very pleased to see diversity among the new and the company that I belong to. In addition, it was interesting to note NYC’s “personality” and how it differs from my home town.

At the conference we participated in short case-study activities, get-to-know-you games and of course, we listened to speakers. Some were good, others were excellent. One speaker got me really thinking. He talked about how, in this day and age, products and ideas are constantly copied by others. In the past, companies could establish themselves with a new process, idea or product; but now just as soon as a new idea comes along two or three other people copy it immediately.

So, he asserted, that in order for companies to stand out they need to have good relationships with their clients. Clients that enjoy doing business with you will continue to do business with you, even though there may be 10 other companies offering the same service. In some ways, client relations hold a higher importance to success that does the final product.

He then applied that way of thinking to our future personal career. He emphasized that our relationships and communication with colleagues and managers is what sets us apart in a profession with many qualified engineers. He called it, creating your own “personal brand”. While producing quality work is important the “hows” are much more important. How you communicate, how you dress, how you handle stress, how you carry yourself in public all affect your reputation, or “brand”.

Of course, that isn’t anything new, but the point that made me think the most was a quote by Thomas Friedman that explained why the how’s are so much more critical in this day and age:

"When everyone has a blog, a MySpace page or Facebook entry, everyone is a publisher. When everyone has a cellphone with a camera in it, everyone is a paparazzo. When everyone can upload video on YouTube, everyone is filmmaker. When everyone is a publisher, paparazzo or filmmaker, everyone else is a public figure. We're all public figures now. "

This made me think more about “the hows” and their influence on my future career path. Because everyone is watching I need to be mindful of how I conduct myself. Professionally, I hope I can build a good reputation and protect it throughout my career.
.
To me the conference accomplished two important items. First, I left with pride knowing a little more of the history, current state and type of company I work for (on a national level). And second, I left New York motivated and energized to be an engineer and conduct myself in a way that will set me on an ethically upward path.
.
Again, this post is too long but I have one more post in mind about my trip to New York, and I should get to that early this week. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the event of the conference.
.
Scott
.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott: Thanks for your blog! I love reading your entries. They are never too long for me. I especially like your sharing what you have learned. Love you, Mom

Deborah’s Desert Creations said...

It's always great to get away, especially on a business trip to a new city. I find it to be a refreshing positive outlook on your job. I enjoyed the photo's.