The Count is In -
Lynette applied to 7 different graduate schools: California State, Arizona State, Colorado State, Towson University, University of Massachussetts, Central Washington University and the University of Oregon.
She got accepted to 5 of those 7--California State, Arizona State, Colorado State, Towson University, and University of Massachussetts. Five out of seven isn't bad.
But, what is even more impressive is that Lynette got accepted to ASU.
The only reason Lynette applied to ASU was because I was so uncertain about leaving behind my life here in Arizona. She was willing to study at ASU if I was not willing to live someplace else.
I’m not sure if Lynette really expected to get into graduate school here at ASU. She only knows of one other art student who went to both ASU for their undergraduate degree and for their graduate degree, and he has been a professor at ASU for many years.
Most art programs don’t accept their own undergrads because they need to get fresh new ideas from the outside. Since creativity is the key to success it’s always better to find new students whose background varies from ASU’s. Graduate students then merge their previous experience with the new professor’s style and system to make completely new and unique creations. So by accepting students who are already familiar with ASU and the system only limits the creative flow coming into the university.
Lynette worked in the art office and saw how the graduate advisors just put all ASU artists applications aside when considering graduate school. Metaphorically these students were automatically put at the bottom of the pile.
Despite knowing this, Lynette applied anyway. If we are supposed to stay in the valley, than she would want to go to grad school. The only way for that possibility is to apply.
I could go into lots of detail about why I think Lynette was accepted to ASU, but I will only say this. Lynette is talented, hardworking and productive. I think those who know Lynette at ASU noticed these three things and decided that if they have a chance to have a student like her than they better try.
Lots of art students have 1 or 2 of these characteristics, but I think very few have all three. It is because of this that she was one of the few that were asked to stay for graduate school at her undergraduate university. As an undergraduate, her work was published in a book and seen at many different galleries (and She won Best of Show in one exhibit). This is what a lot of schools hope their graduate students have accomplished when they get their Masters Degree--and Lynette did it all as an undergraduate.
So although, we are not planning to stay and go to school here I think its amazing she even has the chance too. Again to me, the qualities required for Lynette’s success are: talent, hard work and being productive. Those are characteristics I hope to improve on in my life too. I'm lucky to have such a great example.
Scott
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Posted by Scott A. at 10:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RSS Feed (xml)
No comments:
Post a Comment